15 Nov Alcohol-Free Cojoba Styling Gel, a Hair Gel that Prevents Dryness and Breakage
Styling gel is a pretty useful product for giving you perfect control over your hair. Unfortunately, most hair gels on the market can actually damage your hair due to the ingredients they contain. That leaves customers weighing the gains versus the losses of using this popular styling aid.
What Type of Damage Can a Hair Gel Cause?
Typical hair gels can contain drying alcohols like Isopropyl or Denatured Alcohol. The purpose of these ingredients is to quickly wick any moisture away from the hair so that the gel dries to the touch in a short period of time. The key feature of drying alcohols – perpetuating and speeding up drying – is something that is not good for hair, and extremely damaging for excessively dry or highly textured hair.
Mass-market hair gels can also contain synthetic plastics, one of the most popular and widely used being carbomer. Carbomer is responsible for the ultra clear appearance and thickening of typical commercial hair gels. The problem with this ingredient is that it coats the hair in such a way that it prevents the natural absorption of moisture. While this may be great for temporarily fighting frizz, a buildup of carbomer on the hair shaft means that hair strands won’t easily absorb helpful moisture from conditioners and other types of products designed to keep the hair healthy. This leads to excessive dryness and breakage. Other ingredients that are simply cheap fillers or lubricating agents include silicone and petrochemical derivatives like mineral oil and petrolatum and are used in lieu of higher quality ingredients to bring the cost of a formula down.
Enter Alcohol-Free Cojoba Styling Gel for Healthy, Hydrated Hair
Alcohol-Free Cojoba Styling Gel is a light Coconut and Jojoba oil-based style setting gel cream that also functions as a moisturizing curl definer. It’s also one of the few hair gels on the market designed to improve the condition of your hair with every use. Like every other product in the FAR Botanicals line, Cojoba Styling Gel purposely avoids cheap filling agents, instead employing ingredients that serve to make hair stronger and healthier. Curly haired customers absolutely adore Cojoba for being light, providing a natural hold that can be adjusted by gently “scrunching the hair” and also for its pleasant scent. Non-curlies also find it useful for creating soft, natural roller sets.
Key Benefits of Alcohol-Free Cojoba Styling Gel:
- Absent of common synthetics such as silicones and plastic polymers, Cojoba is made from natural ingredients and presents an eco-friendly alternative to typical styling products.
- Like all of our products, Cojoba is a dual-purpose formula. While functioning as a styling aid, it also actively treats the hair, leaving it in an improved condition.
- Jojoba oil plus extracts of Bamboo, Linseed and Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel help boost Cojoba’s natural holding power without making hair sticky, greasy or flaky, while Coconut oil penetrates deep into hair’s fibers to increase its resilience and tensile strength.
- As a moisturizing, alcohol-free product, Cojoba s perfect for dry, fragile or damaged hair.
Cojoba also makes a great detangling agent prior to shampooing, and like all FAR Botanicals products, Cojoba accomplishes its benefits while remaining 100% free of animal by-products.
How to Achieve the Best Results with Cojoba Styling Gel
Alcohol-Free Cojoba Styling Gel works best on freshly washed damp hair. It has been formulated not to cause hard to remove buildup and washes easily from hair during your next shampoo.
For Wet Sets and Soft to Medium Hold:
On short to shoulder length hair, part hair into 2 or 4 inch sections using a quarter-size amount of gel for each. Increase amount for longer or very thick hair. The more product you use, a firmer hold will result.
Cojoba is versatile and we encourage you to experiment to find the level of hold you desire. To avoid clumped hair comb product through strands, ensuring even distribution. Once the product has been evenly distributed, set on rollers or otherwise style as normal. Use a dryer to shorten set time. After removing rollers, lightly scrunch hair to soften if you find the hold to be too firm.
As a Curl Definer:
On damp shoulder length hair, part hair into 2 or 4 inch sections and apply a quarter-size amount to each section. Using your fingers, distribute product evenly through each section being careful not to disturb hair’s natural curl pattern. Scrunch hair for greater definition. Lightly blow dry with a hood dryer or hand dryer with a diffuser attachment, or allow hair to dry naturally. If you find final hold to be too firm, simply scrunch hair to soften.
- When wet setting, comb Cojoba through hair for even distribution before setting hair on rollers.
- For short spiky styles, double the suggested amount of Cojoba, this will create a firmer hold. You can also experiment with mixing Cojoba with a bit of our Amarula Preservation Butter to increase sculpting and hold.
- If you want to change a style Cojoba can be re-activated by using a spray bottle to mist product that is already distributed through the hair, this helps avoid over-coating strands when a light hold is desired.
- Like other products in the FAR Botanicals line, Cojoba is concentrated, this means a little goes a long way. Start with the smallest suggested amount, increasing until you reach the preferred level of hold.
Are you new to Alcohol-Free Cojoba Styling Gel? Use promo code TRY-FARB to take $5 off your first bottle. Enjoy!